Friday, April 15, 2011

Thing 3: Photo Sharing




Here's a quick video and pictures from Olana, historic home of artist and painter, Frederic Church. My husband and I visited this site last spring. I can't wait for next month when we plan to take a tour of The Mount, Edith Wharton's estate in Lenox, MA. Anyone ever been there?

I created a slide show, and hope it works. I've had a personal flickr account for quite some time, but never posted much because I am too cheap to get a pro account. We have a pro account for the library which I maintain. We use it mainly for displaying book covers of new acquisitions. Our web librarian created a badge for the library website, and the new books display is prominently visible along the bottom of the screen. The content changes every month when I clean out the images and replace them with newer titles.

I have seen other Learn with CDLC participants create a slide show of their sets. I have to say it took me quite a while to figure it out, but hopefully it will work. Sometimes these things are intuitive, other times you have to keep digging until you find the answer. We will see if it works, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

This exercise was a lot of fun. I have played around with picnik, which you can get to through flickr. I like how you can edit a picture and then save it back in flickr; it is a very seamless process. Some of the features are very handy for photo editing such as cropping, resizing, adding borders and text. Which reminds me, adding text to the image would come in very handy when you want to create a watermark. I plan on experimenting on adding Sage Archives to some of the images that we are digitizing for the CDLC Digital Collections program using CONTENTdm.

Edited to add: For some reason, the slide show did not appear when I used Internet Explorer, but it did open up for me when I used Firefox. I read somewhere that it might have something to do with flash. Anyone know what's going on?

2 comments:

  1. Rose, I enjoyed your show! Great job. Ilka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures! You'll have to let us know if you are successful with the watermark on the Digital Collections items.

    ReplyDelete