Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Thing 4 : Online Communities

Well, I finally have a moment to complete this assignment. Our library is pretty much connected to the whole social networking scene. We're on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and we have a Flickr pro account. Unfortunately, our web librarian recently rearranged our library homepage and removed the icons for Facebook and Twitter. Our Facebook page is pretty static, and there's not much content. However, our Twitter account is active with over 200 followers. With all the changes lately, I think it will be a lot easier to update all the social networking sites in one fell swoop. You could possibly load pictures of events in Flickr, blog about it, and then send the link to Facebook! If patrons are interested in our library services, they can always go to our website, or call the reference desk.

On a personal level, I am on Facebook and Goodreads. I also have a LinkedIn account and recently joined Twitter. I know, I said I had no interest in joining Twitter, but I gave in and joined. I'm currently following 15 tweeters. I don't see how it would be useful to me. It seems like information overload. I can see how valuable it would be to follow the news or the latest Amazon deals. I also resisted joining Facebook for a long time. I used to post updates, but lately have fallen off the grid. I have friends who are on there constantly. I only use it to see what my kids are up to and to keep in touch with family and friends who are out of state and out of the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment